The Shop

A Place Where You Will Find Loveryly Gifts and a Few Personal Opinions

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Doesn't America Make Clothing, or Much of Anything Anymore? By MysticSilks

I feel bad for this country and the people who are trying to work and raise a family.
One of the big questions Americans are asking is why aren't there any jobs? Better yet , they should be asking where did all the jobs go? Where did they go? Does anyone know?

Here's my take: The powers that be turned their eyes towards China, Indonesia,and other countries where cheap labor could be had. Materials have never been a huge factor in the cost of making the majority of products that humans use. The major cost is in the labor.
That's why modern technology in machinery has reduced the number of people needed to make a product.
Yet, someone needs to run those robotic machines, and do it cheaply.
To pay an American a decent living wage was costing the CEO's of these manufacturing companies too much money, money that could really go into their pockets. So, they moved their businesses to countries, like China, and India who could for produce the , let's say, same coat for pennies a day for their labor.

These people work for peanuts as compared to what the CEO's paid Americans for making the same coat.
OK, so this last week I was in need of a new winter coat. The last time I bought one was 8 maybe 9 years ago. I started out at a more pricey department store. I saw only coats made in China. But the prices were still up in the high $40.'s to $70.'s. I went to another pricey department store, with the same results.
I stopped at Sears--I always thought Sears was a good American company. Not so! The coats all said made in China. I also looked at some women's tops, and the neck label stated, made in Indonesia.
Yet again, the prices did not reflect that someone had made them for maybe a wage of $20.00 a day; maybe even less.
I say put America back to work! Open manufacturing plants that make coats, women's, men's and children's clothing, sports shoes.

Leaving things the way they are right now, sure the CEO's will get so rich that their crap won't even stink anymore. But one day, those folks in the far off countries will rise up, want better wages. They'll form unions, just like the people did in the early industrial years of the USA.

Then what, big rich man? Where will you send your manufacturing companies and jobs to? Mars, maybe?

Come visit my made in America original paintings, silk scarves, and art work.
http://mysticsilks.etsy.com/

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree, Klaire.
    We are so far off the deep end now that I don't know if we can swim our way back. So very sad.

    ReplyDelete